An experienced policy adviser and manager, Andrew applies a strategic perspective to difficult policy problems and delivers high-quality results for clients
With broad experience as a policy professional, Andrew is a proven strategic thinker who has worked on a number of challenging and complex issues.
He’s a dynamic problem solver, and is skilled at developing and managing effective relationships. He knows how to work with multiple stakeholders, and understands how to use their perspectives to develop good policy.
Andrew has a particular interest in using new and innovative models of policy development to help resolve difficult policy problems.
Before he joined MartinJenkins, Andrew worked for over 10 years in a number of government agencies as both a policy adviser and a policy manager. This included roles with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, the Ministry for the Environment, and the former Department of Building and Housing.
Andrew has specialised skills in climate, energy and natural resources policy. He has worked on domestic and international climate change issues, on upstream and downstream energy policy development, and on marine policy.
He has a strong understanding of the legislative and regulation-making processes, as well as experience advising Ministers and supporting Cabinet processes.
Examples of Andrew’s recent work at MartinJenkins include:
- Helping the Ministry for the Environment deliver its review of the New Zealand Emission Trading Scheme
- Working with the Ministry for Primary Industries to map its current approach to funding research into agricultural climate change mitigation, and designing an intervention logic model to support this
- Developing a cultural sector narrative for the Ministry for Culture and Heritage to articulate both the economic and non-economic benefits that that sector provides – this was co-designed with the Ministry and the wider cultural sector agencies group
- Designing a blueprint for the Treasury in the use of investment strategies within the social sector
- Acting as a Policy Team Leader in MBIE’s Building System Performance branch